I am so blessed. I am reminded of this often. But there are times when it's so overwhelming that I can hardly take it in. At night when I give Abby that last bottle, I wake her up from a deep sleep. She really doesn't even wake up, just eats while she sleeps. But afterwards when I burp her she has started to just lay her little head on my shoulder and sleep. It's so sweet. And I love that time. I sit in the glider with her and thank God that I am so lucky. That she's healthy and perfect and the sweetest little thing.
So not everyone is so lucky. I first learned about the cruel things that can happen to people when I "met" Sophia. Sophia was 3 years old and diagnosed with cancer. And I'm not sure what it was about her and her story that touched me so much. Maybe it was because I had just had Abby. It was in the middle of the night that first week and I was on the couch, Abby was nursing and I was watching CNN. And her story came on -- her last wish was to have it snow. So Stone Mtn brought in a snow machine and gave her snow. And I followed her story til the end. Most of those first days I would get her update and Abby would be in my arms. And I would sit there in the dark, in the middle of the night, holding a perfect baby and crying for a little girl I didn't know. Somehow identifying with a mom going through unimagineable things. And I thanked God every time that Abby was healthy. So Sophia lost her battle about 3 months ago and gained her angel wings. But I still pray for Sophia's family...but especially her mom. For the struggles that she must go through every day.
And I wonder why I'm so lucky.
I don't know why I felt like I needed to share Sophia with all of you. Maybe part of her life was to reach those of us like me. That wake up everyday thinking that life is perfect and not thinking twice about it. That somehow I deserve this. Sophia reminds me that I don't really deserve any of it. That things can change in a second. But it's how we react to those circumstances that really matter. Sophia was an example of innocence, grace and courage in the midst of a really crappy situation...and I have to remember that's the lesson here.
So yes in this moment I'm lucky - it all is perfect. But that's not promised...so each day I'm going to wake up and live this moment to the fullest...in honor of Sophia.
I hope you will too....



2 comments:
I love you, Jamie!
That makes me so sad Jamie! But also challenged to really enjoy every moment because they go by so fast! I'm really praying lately that I will not miss any moments and enjoy each one with Ella....
Post a Comment