It's called Quinoa (pronounced "keen-wa").
It's called the "supergrain" - has the most protein of any other grain and is gluten/wheat free.Sounds good right?
Ok so let me backtrack a little. This weekend, Greg was sick which meant that I was in charge of feeding the family. I cooked all of Abby's food for the next couple of weeks and got that frozen. No big deal there. But cooking for me is another story. I don't cook. So the fact that I love to cook for Abby has been a little ironic!
My usual go-to meal is couscous with sauteed veggies. I love couscous. And I had read on my homemade babyfood website that couscous is a good pasta for babies. Sweet! So off we went to the store (and to get some cold medicine for daddy). But when I got there (I went to the regular grocery store instead of Earth Fare) the only couscous they had, contained salt. Even without adding the spice pack.
But right next to it, was quinoa. And on the same website, they had raved about the goodness of quinoa. So I asked Abby if she thought this would be something we should try...and she didn't say no, so we got it!
I came home and cooked it up and added (her favorite) pureed squash/zucchini with a little cheese. And then added squash/zucchini and a few more things to mine. Tossed a salad for me and voila!
Dinner time!
And Abby hated it. Turned her head and waved her arms at it. (After taking a bite and gagging!!)
So we'll try again but in the meantime we'll try couscous.
PS. I really liked it by the way. It's a little grittier than couscous so probably not the best to start with for babies. But it has a really nice nutty flavor, kinda sweet. Goes great with some fresh sauteed veggies....



1 comment:
So you finally found something she didn't like!! Well, she should be allowed at least one thing :-)
Post a Comment