
So things didn't go so well for the first 8 weeks with Abby. We found out that she has really bad acid reflux which led to 2 months of spitting up, sleepless nights and tears. It's all a blur now which is actually a blessing :)
But there are lots of things that we have learned through this experience...in addition to just normal "I'm a new parent I don't have a clue" type stuff.
First we've learned incredible faith. Every night I have to put my baby down on her back and trust that God will not let her spit up and get choked. I'm terrified of that. Terrified of choking in general. But every night, there I am. Putting her on her back like "they" say to do. And I have to trust that she's going to be ok in the morning.
Second, I've learned patience....or I should say I'm learnING patience. This is a big thing for me. I have zero patience. Actually I have negative patience. And Greg's just the opposite. He's the most patient person I know! So I guess that's good. But I'm trying. Every time I give Abby a bottle I have to take my time. I have to burp her after every ounce. I have to sit her upright and still for 30 minutes after that. And I have to wait. When all I really want to do is grab her up and squeeze her and play with her. But I can't. I have to wait. And the funny thing (or I should say the bad thing) is that Abby's just as impatient as I am! She hates sitting so still! Anyway, I'm learning to wait. I'm waiting for the time we can give her solids so the reflux will hopefully go away. I'm waiting for her little tummy to mature so that she can be comfortable. I'm waiting and waiting and hating every second of it!
And last but certainly not least, I've learned the "Abby Dance"...years from now all of us that have been around these last 2 months will remember the Abby Dance. The constant bouncing. The only thing that made her happy. I can't tell you how many hours I have spent with her on my arm and bouncing. So much that now I have carpel tunnell!!! LOL I can't wait to tell her all about it. And we'll laugh :)
So those are just the 3 things that come to mind. That doesn't even count how we've learned to change a diaper without it falling off. How we've learned to distinguish the "I'm hungry" cry from the "I'm tired" cry...not to mention the "I'm just plain mad" cry. It doesn't include how I've learned to trust and depend on Greg in ways that I never dreamed.
I doesn't count how I've learned to love this little person more than my life itself.
So the first two months have been hard. And we still deal with the reflux...the spitting up, upset tummy, fussiness....but we're learning.
And things aren't so bad....



No comments:
Post a Comment